Dr. Narain Gehani is a world-renowned expert in Web technologies, software, and databases and has done extensive research in these areas.
Dr. Gehani has authored or coauthored several major software systems, including the pioneering Ode database, Concurrent C/C++ parallel programming language, Web-based contact center, and Maps On Us. Narain holds 12 patents (several more filed), has written and edited many books, and written about 75 papers in computer science.
Dr. Gehani has served on numerous program conference committees and was an ACM National Lecturer for several years.
From 1978 to 2001, Dr. Gehani was with Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies. When he left Bell Labs, Dr. Gehani
was the Vice President of the Communication Software Research Lab. The Lab was actively engaged in numerous leading edge technology projects, for example, office computing access for mobile workers, collaborative telephone/Web environment, VoiceXML, and XML query languages. Some past projects included, IP PBX, Web-based contact center, and DEN based network management applications. Narain and his team developed the pioneering Ode object database.
From 6/96 to 5/98, Dr. Gehani was President of the Maps On Us (Lucent commercial web site, www.MapsOnUs.com), a website co-founded by Dr. Gehani. Maps On Us provides maps, routes, and yellow pages. Dr. Gehani led and managed the deployment of Maps On Us from conception and commercial deployment until its sale. Maps On Us was sold to SwitchBoard in 5/98.
Dr. Gehani got his PhD in computer science from Cornell University in 1975 and
ME in mechanical engineering from Stevens Institute of Technology. He taught computer science for 3 years at SUNY/Buffalo and then joined Bell Labs in 1978.
Other Books by Narain Gehani
- Ada: An Advanced Introduction. Prentice-Hall, 1983.
- Ada: Concurrent Programming. Prentice Hall 1984. Also published by Prentice-Hall Intl, 1994 and Silicon Press, 1994.
- C: An Advanced Introduction. Computer Science Press, 1985.
- Document Formatting and Typesetting on the UNIX System. Silicon Press, 1987.
- Document Formatting and Typesetting on the Unix System, Volume 2 (co-author S. Lally). Silicon Press, 1988.
- Concurrent C (co-author W. D. Roome). Silicon Press & Prentice-Hall Intl., 1989.
- Software Specification Techniques (co-editor A. McGettrick). Addison-Wesley, 1985.
- Concurrent Programming (co-editor A. McGettrick). Addison-Wesley, 1988.
- Comparing and Assessing Programming Languages (co-editor A. R. Feuer) Prentice-Hall, 1984.
- Advanced C: Food For the Educated Palette. Computer Science Press, 1985
- C for Personal Computers. Computer Science Press, 1985
- Unix Ada Programming. Prentice-Hall, 1986.